Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Upcycling

Upcycling is the new hip word for getting junk and findinga new use for it.I happen to know that because I'm sooo hip and cool! This spring my mom in law and I jumped in the truck and went off to find treasures on the curb at the annual spring clean up.We passed this piece once and I about broke my neck trying to get a better view! We turned around and proceeded to load  into truck as the homowner came out with more junk he said wait I might have the missing bottom drawers in the basement. So patiently only to have him return and say no I'm sorry I don't. I didn't care I had big visions already buzzing in my head!





I loved everything about the style and curves on it! I had to have hubby tighten it up and add wood to the two bottom missing drawer spaces. I had originally planned on getting some baskets to put down there. After much shopping I couldn't find any that were reasonable or that I loved So I went out to my hoarder pile and found some old drawers I could use but not enough of them to fill the space like I wanted. I was puzzled then I remembered I had picked some shelves off the curb so I set about building two boxes to put with the drawers to fit the space the way I wanted!
I painted it with ASCP but only had cream and duck egg blue and not enough of either to do the entire piece. Well what else do you do but mix the two to create a high dollar custom color! I like to call it duck egg cream!
I then decided to put some spindle things I had gotten a while back to the front of the drawers to give something of a handle, Painted them all a creamy color. I decided to do a design on top and added a little fleur d lis wood applique to the two top drawers and some lovely glass knobs. Then to tie it all together I painted numbers on the boxes. So original I know! I think it would look great in a nursery,as a media stand,or a buffet? I must say I love it! I walk into my shop and it makes me happy!

 
 
 
 
 
I know you are all so hip and cool too so, what have you upcycled lately?
                                                            Traci

I will be sharing atThursdays favorite things
                                             Furniture Feature Friday
theshabbycreekcottage. Transformation Thursdays

20 comments:

  1. I am so not cool like you are! You do such amazing things with paint. I'm the one that likes to buy amazing things ;)
    I love what you have done to this dresser, it's so cute now and I love the fleur de lis you added along with the baskets/numbers.

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! Its for sure my favorite piece of yours so far. I did a desk with almost the same color scheme and loved it so much - the cream with the green/blue is perfect! And who woulda thought to make wooden boxes where the missing drawers were - its perfect! - i would keep this one if i were you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is a BEAUTY!!! i love this piece... what a great find. you did an amazing job with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome paint combo! I love the finished one of a kind you created!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is way cool! I love the applique on the top.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great find! love the stencil on top!
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's displayed wonderfully and the picture above it is the perfect accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just did a FABULOUS job! Love your choices of paint color. Hopped over from Furniture Feature Friday and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bow to your awesome upcycling skills. this is lovely! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog Hop. Wishing you a beautiful day xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You have put a big smile on my face!:)

      Delete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous!!! Your attention to details is just amazing - loving the stencilled top :)
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO nice! Thanks! My smile just got bigger!:)

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful, beautiful piece! Love the color and all the attention to detail :)

    Have a wonderful day rock star!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this piece....you have great vision.....most would of left it on the curb for lack of drawers! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is Shab-a-licious! Great find and great problem solving to give this old girl life again! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness this is beyond lovely!!! I must remember this idea! You are so brilliant! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found you via Roadkill Rescue and this is totally adorable! When I say "upcylce" where I live I just get a bunch of funny stares and a "What's that?" :) Again, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just so absolutely amazing. I would never find anything that good for free! I also would never have thought to make boxes where the drawers are missing! What a fantastic idea. Just gorgeous. Coming back to see what else you have done, you are my kind of "redouxer"!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I commented on the featured site, but wanted to say this is a wonderful rehab! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete