Sunday, September 16, 2012

Is there a such thing as a wood hell?

It all started innocently enough went to a pickers dream garage sale on Friday. This lady was selling all kinds of treasures at amazing prices. I think it was a divorce situation. I found a piece I just couldn't do without a sideboard very ornate and done with tiger oak. So I bought it and brought it to my shop to set out to work on it. Needed some repairs and I was debating whether to paint the body or not. After much debate with myself wondering if there is a hell for people who paint over beautiful wood or not? I know silly right?This piece was probably from the late 1800's and had seen better days and someone had butchered one of the doors at one time adding new hinges. So I assured myself it was for the best to paint and moved forward. I did refinish the top as it was in very good shape. I painted it with ASCP old white. Distresses some and then waxed the whole piece. It does look lovely but why do I feel such guilt about painting it?? I hope it sells quick cause I can't hardly handle looking at it much longer! Would love to hear if anyone else ever feels guilt for painting sometimes?





 
I also did a small hutch this weekend too. I definitely felt NO guilt painting this piece!
 
 Isn't it cute! If I thought I could squeeze it into my kitchen I would! It was a boring maple hutch with a veneer top. I used ASCP and then stained over it and polyed over it.



 
Here is a piece I did earlier in the week and took up to my booth to sell.


I know I'm really into the wood and paint look. It is such a nice look. I'm often amazed how nice some of the pieces turn out when they start out so ugly and neglected. I feel truly lucky to be able to do this. I had a new friend stop by this week to look at a pair of dressers I had and she looked around at my stash and said wow how awesome would this be to get to play with all this everyday! I agree even though sometimes it is work just like any other job. 
Well hopefully you all have a wonderful week! I will stop stressing out about the piece!
Traci
I will be showing this at:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
WhiteWednesday at Faded Charm
Furniture Feature Frday

14 comments:

  1. Love the desk and sideboard!! Wishing you a lovely week, Xo, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't regret! It's BEAUTIFUL! Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do! Your work is lovely! From one sweetie to another~~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, You should never feel guilty about painting furniture. The next guy can strip the paint off if he/she doesn't like it, right? Your work is beautiful...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your piece and how you painted it ...if i lived closer i would purchase it ....i just found you on allthingschic2 blog ...i am the one who own,s the pink cabinet she blogged ...blessings to you on this beautiful day ....Leona ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so funny! I'm for sure going to "wood hell" I cut a big hole in someone antique hutch to make a bath vanity. But all of you pieces are truly heavenly. I totally love the paint and wood combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just made it 99 followers. Only one to go to 100!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you didn't mind I posted your link in my blog because I love your furniture!I have done the same with furniture but hubstead gets aggravated with why are you bringing home that? I tell him so I can redo it and keep it duh,and he lets it slide.He found out how expensive furniture is and now he looks for stuff ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh, your sideboard looks awesome. I understand you may feel guilty for painting an antique piece but it turned out so beautiful that you really shouldn't.
    Love your other painted pieces,too.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dont have any shame dump the guilt! seems all that you touch turns out fab! And are those cherry plates ?> Toooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No guilt...it looks fantastic! Love the wood top w/ painted body!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all of your pieces! Yes, I too have felt the guilt after painting something, but you can always strip it off down the road. So i don't end up feeling too bad about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That happens to me from time to time when I have a special piece. I usually get over it by calling the owner of the shop and she says what Connie said... it can always be stripped later if someone wants to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Sweetie you knocked this one outta the park!No Guilt or remorse here! youve created a beautiful NEW Heirloom! Be Proud!

    ReplyDelete