Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Faux Granite counters??

 Okay, so I have been hearing a lot about this new product you can magically paint and transform your ugly counters into beautiful granite.
The product I chose was called Gianti which I purchased at Walmart. I picked the color Sicilian Sand.
 Well since I loathed my ugly grey blue counters, I figured I would give it a try.




SO Ninety's!



The first step is to tape off everything!
I mean everything even if you think you are a great and careful painter.
Tape like you never have before that paint has a way of getting on things you could of swore you were nowhere near!


I WAS KINDA DIGGING THEM BLACK.
THEN I THOUGHT ABOUT HOW IT WOULD SHOW EVERYTHING SO DECIDED TO MOVE FORWARD.

The  directions say to let primer dry 8 hours.... Well lets just say I grow impatient easily it was more like 4 hours.

 Then you begin layering in the paint with the sea sponges and three different colors.
 They are easily marked so you know which one to start with. Let me just say this is not for the faint of heart!
You have to be committed to finish. It is slow,tedious work. I didn't take any pics midway was I so frustrated!
After 3 hours of the afternoon gone I was NOT thrilled with the results.

To much of the black primer showed through for my liking and there were a few bald spots.
Hubby came home pretended to like it but I knew he hated it too.

 So I gave up for the night,drank a few glasses of wine and retired early.
The next morning I was determined to not let this dang thing beat me down! So off to wally world I went and purchased another kit.

 The same color but this time I purchased some more paint samples the little ones by Glidden in a cream, off white and a brown.
So when I got home I went to work so having six different colors went about it again.

 It came out so much better I love it! You have to add two topcoats and it turns it really shiny!
 Hubby even loves it now. Funny how he won't tell me he hates something until after I change it.
























Here is a close up.
The draw back is it is a lot of work but it is a very economical alternative. That is if you master after the first two kits you buy and not have to get the third one! I will let you know how they hold up to wear and tear. I can't put anything on them for three days... Probably will be more like one and a half in my impatient world!  Traci




11 comments:

  1. Your countertops are looking great! I have old tile ones that we are getting ready to take out. I really want a solid surface material, but even that is rather expensive. Your makeover is a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a good job!

    When we redid our kitchen in 2008 I put in black quartz and I still love it.

    Be patient! I'm the same way though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Applause!! and those kitchen curtains are just adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The final result looks great!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what a cool product! I've never heard of it but it looks really nice. Would love to know how it wears and tears :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, nice! Bet you're thrilled with the end result. I have a kit sitting on my ugly old scratched up counter right now. How I would love new solid surface kitchen counter tops but no money in the budget for that. Just gonna have to make time, maybe over the long holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally great Trac! now really I'll be honest I have seen some terrible painted counter jobs in blog land yours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That color looks much better than black. It’s pleasing to the eyes, and it doesn’t eat up natural light, unlike black. Light-colored granite is also more advisable in the kitchen so you can easily spot dirt. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They turned out absolutely gorgeous! Love the new look! Much brighter now.

    Granite Countertop

    ReplyDelete