Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Perfect Getaway


 This summer we had the pleasure of gong on a weekend getaway to a picturesque river town called Galena in IL. This is the B&B we stayed at it was a gorgeous old beauty! I was ready move in for good!
 This is me trying to look as if I belonged on that front porch permanently. Hubby had to pry me away so we could go to dinner.












This was our charming little attic bedroom we actually had a private bath much to my relief. My phobia of shared bathrooms would better be discussed on a different post. We had the most amazing view of the mansion next door and the river
















 The gardens around the B&B were beautiful to stroll through. Sadly the weekend we picked it was the hottest day of the year with heat index warnings but we braved through the heat.




Of course inside was just as beautiful it had three stories with gorgeous sitting areas to just read or visit or have a glass of lemonade, Did I mention how unbelievably hot it was!






 This was the hallway outside our room I would of been happy sleeping in the beautiful hallway.
This was one of the three outdoor porches. Makes you just want to sit a spell doesn't it! I sometimes believe I was  a southern belle in my previous life as I have these strange drawing to anything southern, old plantations,mint juleps, and the wonderfully romantic dresses of those days. IF ONLY!





This is a view of the downtown Galenea it has these huge flood gates at either end of the downtown that can close in case of flood. That might be the one deterrent to keep me from actually moving there! It was filled with lots of shops very charming! 
This is the grand mansion that was next door it was called the Belvedere mansion. We got to take a tour of it but no pics were allowed inside. The current owner bought this property in the 70"s at a tax sale for mere dollars our tour guide told us. Lucky people! They reside on the third floor mostly. It was gorgeous unbelievably lavish and I'm so glad we got to tour it.
I can't wait to go back maybe when it is cooler. I have some fabulous photo's of some of the homes in the area I will post later.
Oh one more interesting thing the B&B had a haunted ghost tour we took after dark yes it was still blazing hot and we had to trudge up some pretty high hills but it was still a lot of fun so much history around there and it is supposed to be one of the top haunted places. We didn"t see any ghost though. Thankfully to my hubby's relief he's not into that kinda stuff.
                                                                          Traci

























































































































2 comments:

  1. Lucky you my friend...what a charming place. Your weather looked amazing.

    Thanks for visiting me. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Traci! Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I went to Galena on my fifth wedding anniversary - loved that place. I have to say you are absolutely adorable! I too love junkin' and just yesterday found a load of treasures at Goodwill. The thrill of the hunt is right!

    ReplyDelete