Monday, November 22, 2010

Give a little love

As I sit here with hair color on my head covering up my natural highlights that come with age, I'm pondering men. Being recently remarried we just celebrated our one month of wedded bliss. Ok, maybe not perfectly blissful but definitely good. As women we are totally different creatures then men. We find different things funny, we deal with stress differently,we approach problems differently and we definitely handle our emotions differently!
I'm a Pisces and we tend to be a bit dreamy, emotional, sometimes seem detached, very sensitive and maybe a flair for the dramatic. Poor Mr. SN he is the most calm, non emotional, and even tempered person I have ever known.
So you can imagine this poor man's surprise when I have one of my emotional break downs  or get sensitive to something he may have very nonchalant he may have said. He says he's never had to deal with anyone behaving like that. (not sure if he was married to a robot previously)  So it is an adjustment on both our parts we knew this going in to this.
I have recently started reading the book The proper care and feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Shclesinger. Now granted I don't agree with everything she has to say but a lot of it makes sense. I think we sometimes forget that men do have emotions and feelings.
 We tend to think of them as tough and able to handle it.So many men don't become such a priority after we have kids or we get so involved in a ton of projects or work. We get weighed down by the daily grind,the kids, or feeling like they don't help enough. So then we complain and nag. You don"t help with the kids enough, you don't do enough around the house or you don't make enough money. Come on you know we have all been guilty of it. It doesn't work or help so maybe it's time to try a new approach.
 I guess men aren't really all that complicated they just want what we want love,respect and understand. They just want to know you will love them and need them. They don't want to be nagged and berated. I know sometimes I have been known to nitpick and not recognize the good things. I find it goes a lot better if you do praise your hunney for the good things too. Rather then always concentrating on the negative! Our men go out and work hard for us and our family,they do want what's best for us.
We obviously picked these men to marry because we saw something in them we loved,needed and desired to spend the rest of our lives with.
So tonight ladies when your hunney walks through the door give them a big hug and kiss and praise them for something you appreciate and see how it works.Give a little love! Would love to here from you!   
                                            Traci

15 comments:

  1. Good advice Traci...

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your newest follower from the Monday Blog Hops! Come check out my blog at: http://adventuresofathriftymommy.blogspot.com/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes!!

    That Dr. Laura is a little crazy, but I tend to like a little bit of crazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting married is a huge adjustment. I know what you speak of!

    Men are different than us. Duh right? The best advice I ever got was, "don't explain, don't complain." I use it as a mantra.

    That's what our girlfriends are for yes?

    You're doing great and I WILL hug my hubbins when he comes home tonight.

    Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Traci...
    Accentuate the positive as much as possible!

    If all else fails... watch When Harry Met Sally. Love that movie and its message.

    Have a lovely Thanksgiving!
    ~Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I could learn a thing from the book even though I have been married for a gazillion years it seems! One thing I do know is that we have to embrace each others differences. My hubby has learned to leave the room when I get a little crazy and I have learned to tune him out when he gets boring. You live and learn!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by today! I always love meeting new friends. Have a wonderful week and a Happy Thanksgiving!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are right on the nose about this one. We do think, act, feel and express things differenly but the guys are affected by things too and I think we often take for granted how hard they do work. Everyone needs some down time, even superhubbies!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving as a new family!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely great advice! We should give a little love. My Husband said he and his ex never used to argue and then I informed him that "not talking" for days at a time, constitutes a fight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOTS of great points! so true! i'm gonna have to check out that book! your newest blog hop follower. happy monday. would *love* a follow back. you can find me at:

    http://aceandfriendsco.blogspot.com/

    lots of FUN giveaways... come by and enter

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great advice! It is easy to just start nitpicking...I know that I have been very guilty of doing that. I don't agree with all that Dr. Laura says, but she definitely hit the nail on the head with that advice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! I am your newest follower from the blog hop!! Lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
    Take a peek at my giveaways when you stop by. Everything is handmade and gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for following my blog!! I am now your newest follower and I adore your blog! Xoxoxo ~Ashley 1942charm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet post, and so true.

    Plus, you should make his junk your personal Taj Mahal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving...

    kary

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been married for 24 years. I know, right? Sometimes I can't believe that we've been together that long.

    This is what I've learned: Men hate nagging. Hate it. If you need to get something done, don't ask, just subtly hint. It's an easier way to get results. Also, let the little things fall away. Only fret about the big things. I think of it like this, if I lost my husband today, what would matter. Would I regret fussing at him constantly about the shoes he leaves on the floor or would I think about how those shoes mean nothing when I have a man who is a good provider, an awesome father, a loving husband. And then I pick up the shoes and I make sure I tell him I love him every single day. The little things don't matter when it all comes down to it. Love. It's only love.

    ReplyDelete